High School Placement Test
Science Portion: The optional Science portion of the HSPT is offered to those looking to take honors Biology.
Test results take 3 to 4 weeks to receive. Once Seton receives the scores, they will be mailed to your home address.
Seton Catholic Prep Fine Arts Building
To best prepare for the test
- $50 test fee- forms of payment include: cash (exact amount), check or money order made payable to Seton Catholic Preparatory. (Proctors will collect the money in the classroom.)
- Be well rested and have a good breakfast the day of the test.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes prior to exam time – the test begins promptly at 8:30 a.m.
- Bring at least two #2 pencils.
- Dress casually and comfortably. Bring a sweater/sweatshirt, as the rooms may be chilly.
- Water and snacks will be provided (if your student has a food allergy, they are welcome to bring a snack.)
**No calculators permitted.
**If your student needs extra time for the HSPT, please email Lisa Sweador at LSweador@SetonCatholic.org. The student will need to bring documentation from their doctor stating extra time is required.
It’s a good idea to become familiar with the types of questions that will be on the test. This is where practice tests and test preparation guides are useful. The book, Master the Catholic High School Entrance Exams, can be purchased through Amazon.
Know how to guess. If you can quickly eliminate one or more of the answers, you increase the odds of making an accurate guess. Wrong answers do not help your score, but you are not penalized extra for guessing.
All students who apply for admissions to Seton Catholic Prep (as well as any of the Catholic high schools) must take the High School Placement Test (HSPT). It is important to note that each school utilizes this test differently, and it is incumbent upon the family to research and clearly understand each of the schools’ policies regarding the HSPT. At Seton Catholic Prep, the HSPT is used in two ways:
- It helps assess whether applicants possess the skills necessary for success within our academic program.
- It helps identify students who are capable of, and would benefit from, a more rigorous, honors level curriculum.
The HSPT provides a reliable, nationally normed, research-based indicator of a student’s ability and preparedness in Math, Science and English. While any individual test can never fully tell the whole story, when reviewed alongside other data points such as the Iowa Basics, AIMS and class performance, the results do provide a clearer picture of a student’s capacity for success in honors level classes.
By utilizing the HSPT results in conjunction with the application for admission, Seton Catholic Prep will offer students placement into honors level courses if the criteria for each discipline are met.
The HSPT is designed to verify that you have a solid 8th grade education. Test results may warrant that you attend summer school as a condition of admittance. A high score on the placement test does not guarantee your admission. Similarly, a low score does not guarantee that you won’t be accepted for admission.
Time allocations for each section are as follows:
Verbal Skills, 60 questions: 16 minutes
Quantitative, 52 questions: 30 minutes
Reading, 62 questions: 25 minutes
Mathematics, 64 questions: 45 minutes
Language, 60 questions: 25 minutes
English: Writing prompt, 30 minutes
The optional Science Exam may be scheduled through the admissions office.
Science, 40 questions: 25 minutes